ASA Central Network

communities_1.jpg
  • 1.  Talent Search

Posted 05-19-2022 14:57
    Hi All!!

We are in the rural southern tier of Western New York and northern Pennsylvania.  Many of our clients are desperate for workers and like many of you we are still having a difficult time finding people to apply for these jobs and then show up to work.  We have had some success with our Facebook page, and some with Indeed.  We did try the "old school" way of placing an ad in a newspaper to no avail.  We have held job fairs with only a handful showing up.   Maybe we are too far in the forest that we can't see the trees, and I would sure be very appreciative of any suggestions any of you have tried that had success.  Thank you in advance!!!!

------------------------------
    Voni Walker CSP
    President
    Walker Business and Staffing Services Inc.
    Wellsville NY
    (585) 593-6129
    Avionte post ad

• 2.  RE: Talent Search

Posted 05-20-2022 12:27
    Hi Voni - We are seeing many staffing companies competing for the same talent pool that has been greatly impacted by consumerization over the past several years. To reach this talent pool, it's crucial to provide the experience they've come to expect from working with companies like Uber, Instacart, Grubhub, Amazon, Door Dash, Netflix, Lyft, etc. While using a mobile staffing platform isn't a magic bullet, we're are seeing a 300% increase in redeployment and a 50% increase in show rates with clients that are using one. I truly believe that providing this experience to the talent you're recruiting will be table stakes in the staffing industry. I hope this helps. Please feel free to reach out if you have any additional questions. mike.mckerns@avionte.com

Michael McKerns
    Account Executive
    Avionté Staffing Software

Avionte post ad

• 3.  RE: Talent Search

Posted 05-22-2022 11:15
    I agree with MIchael's comments.  Many staffing firms, particularly in the LI/Commercial space, continue to compete for the same talent pool.  Data shows there is a bigger portion of the workforce that is open to contingent/temporary work but if you continue to focus your recruiting efforts and promote the same value proposition as you always have without regard to what candidates are seeking then you're not going to tap into that larger segment.  The result is more employers are being forced to hire permanent positions since they can't get their human capital needs met by staffing firms.  There is a massive volume of data via candidate and employee surveys that provides valuable information about what candidates and employees are seeking so if you want to differentiate your selves and stop churning the same traditional temporary candidates the data is there for you to leverage.

John Rutledge
    Senior Vice President
    Assurance
    Schaumburg IL

Avionte post ad

• 4.  RE: Talent Search

Posted 06-02-2022 00:52
    Whom do you recommend for a mobile staffing platform?

Best Regards,

Diana

Diana Cafi MSN, MHA, RN, LNC
    CEO

HealthPro Innovation Workforce Solutions, LLC &
    Nursing Excellence Continuing Education Services
    18w140 Butterfield Road, 15th floor,
    Oakbrook Terrace, Illinois 60181
    (o) 630-613-7454
    (f) 855-532-1895

www.healthproinnovation.com

www.nursingexcellence-ce.com

Staffing Firm

HealthPro Innovation Workforce Solutions, LLC
    Illinois and Indiana Branch.

&

CE Approved Provider Statement

Nursing Excellence Continuing Education Services, LLC is approved as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the Ohio Nurses Association, an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation. (OBN-001-91)

The American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation is honored by the Illinois Department of Financial & Professional Regulation in the State of Illinois.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact HEALTHPRO INNOVATION WORKFORCE SOLUTIONS LLC, and delete the material from any computer and destroy all copies.

Avionte post ad

• 5.  RE: Talent Search

Posted 06-02-2022 10:04
    Hi Diana - Would love to share some options! I will reply directly with a link to my calendar to we can schedule some time to chat further. 

MIKE MCKERNS |  Account Executive

Mobile: 610.864.7516

Email: mike.mckerns@avionte.com  

About Me:

Avionte post ad

• 6.  RE: Talent Search

Posted 05-20-2022 17:08
    Edited by Richard Rosner 05-20-2022 17:20
    Hi Voni,

I know about rural areas for sure--I am working the state of West Virginia and Southern Pennsylvania! 

Here are my methods for these areas:
    -First off-(hiring events) are a waste of time-no one attends them anymore!
    (Plan a Virtual Job Party)
    -Newspaper ads-everything is online these days!!!

Have Fun and make everything you do creative and different!!!
    -Tap into the Delivery service(Pizza shops and all restaurants that deliver food)-Make "Box Tops and these places will put them on every item they deliver for FREE!!!  Your community reach is going to be unlimited!!!
    -Facebook works great if you use it the right way! Don't just limit yourself to your company page. Tap into local groups by providing content that can assist with everyone(Positive Vibes) and the best way is to add your candidates to your Profile Page on FB-then you are building a community of job seekers and you will have access to them 24/7!!  I say this all the time-take a pic with a candidate you Hired and post it on FB and they also will share it on their FB personal page also(so every candidate that you Hire is now recruiting more candidates for you)-this is the TEAMWORK METHOD!!
    -Bar Coasters work amazing for branding and getting the word out in your community!
    -Sponsor Little League Baseball Team(I have my logo in the outfield and anytime someone hits a Homerun over the sign they get $50) It is now going viral as every kid playing in the league wants to hit it over the "Staffing Shark" sign-LOL!!
    I agree with Mike also that you must have an app these days for all candidates-its a 100% must!!
    Another must is QR Code on everything that you do!! Have a QR Code for your FB-Instagram-website and etc.......

Remember this "DON'T CHASE THE CANDIDATE-LET THE CANDIDATE CHASE YOU"
    These methods will for sure jump start your candidate pool and get them Excited about working with your company!

Lets chat sometime as I am always here to help you!
    "RECRUIT LIKE A SHARK"
    richard@thestaffingshark.com

Richard Rosner
    Founder-Job Agent
    Staffing Shark
    Lemont Furnace PA
    (724) 880-6760

Avionte post ad

• 7.  RE: Talent Search

Posted 05-22-2022 20:54

Hi Voni!

There are a lot of great ideas above - staffing companies aren't just competing with each other for talent but especially now, you're competing for the same hourly jobs in all industries.

I love Mike's idea  about the experience from Uber, Amazon, Doordash - I like to say it's "reducing friction." Thanks to Amazon - in one click, I can have something on my doorstep in 2 days ... and maybe faster. Evaluate every part of your application / onboarding process for friction. Do it on desktop and mobile. Ask friends. Ask family. Ask a colleague. Have them go through the process and almost be a "secret shopper" to get real feedback.

Richard always has amazing grass-roots ideas and I love his ideas below. Anything you can do locally to market your brand and generate buzz will help. We're really focusing on marketing your brand and not your job. If you market your job, it's transactional. If you make a connection between candidates/employees and your company/recruiters, that's much harder to break up with when they need to make a decision. 

John hits on an idea that I love as well - what's in it for me (WIIFM). And that has to be the jobseeker. From the job titles and job description - why should I apply for that job? What makes it stand out from all of my other options right now? Is it salary? Is it overtime? Is it no overtime? Is it close to public transportation for me? Do I get training? Everything in that posting has to revolve around the candidate - I have an updated post on that from February: https://www.recruitmentmarketers.com/2022/02/14/ultimate-guide-job-descriptions-2022/

Recruiting is tough right now - we have a webinar on Tuesday that talks about it (https://lunchwithhaley.com/) where I'm going to look at the realities of the situation and provide some takeaways for companies.

I'm also doing a LinkedIn Live webinar on Tuesday that shows how simple math can reveal how easy it is to waste job board spend (https://www.linkedin.com/video/event/urn:li:ugcPost:6933400037863436288/)

Look at all aspects of your recruitment marketing (career site, job advertising, social recruiting, and employer branding) - focus on how you can reduce friction for the job candidates and really see "what's in it for me?"

Hope that helps!

Matt 

Matt Lozar
    Director of Recruitment Marketing
    Haley Marketing Group Inc.
    Williamsville NY

Avionte post ad

• 8.  RE: Talent Search

Posted 05-23-2022 11:26
    Hi Voni,

I love the ideas and suggestions from everyone.  We use Haley Marketing for our social media campaigns.  I really agree with Matt/ Haley about building your brand and developing value in the relationship-- versus simply making it "transactional."

When I owned a hospitality staffing co in the 90s, and we had 25K W-2s a year (staffed via our 65 offices) the more successful operators/managers who experienced lower turnover and no show rates-data, were always better at selling the relationship with their office -- beyond the dollars and cents of the particular job.  And I believe hospitality has some of the highest no show/ turn over rates that most other staffing niches.

Glad to share other things our managers did to reduce turn over, when you have a chance. Please feel free to give me a call.

Stay safe

David

David Schek
    President
    Staffing Comp Solutions
    American Staffing Association Member since 2005
    ASA  Central 2019-2021 Most Valuable Contributor
    ASA PAC Contributor
    ASA Safety Committee Member

America's Leading Staffing Workers  Compensation Broker With 50 Years Experience. 

How To Choose the Best Staffing Work Comp Broker:

Work Comp Staffing Solutions Options:

Contact Information:
      Ofc.-          202-302-1212

This electronic mail message and all attachments may contain confidential information belonging to the sender or the intended recipient. This information is intended ONLY for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution (electronic or otherwise), forwarding or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic transmission in error, please notify the sender by telephone, facsimile, or email to arrange for the return of the electronic mail, attachments, or documents.

Avionte post ad

• 9.  RE: Talent Search

Posted 05-23-2022 05:36
    Edited by David Searns 05-23-2022 05:37
    Hi Voni,

Like you, I'm from Western New York, and I am familiar with the area in which you are trying to recruit. Finding qualified, available, and interested talent in the southern tier communities is no small challenge!

Let me share a few ideas, and build on what others have shared (I'll try not to be too redundant!). Here are 7 ideas to help you with your recruiting, I don't think any one of them is going to be a silver bullet, but if each of these gets a few more orders filled, collectively, they could do a lot of good for your business.

1) Optimize the last mile

Most staffing websites are not optimized for conversions…which is a marketing-speak way of saying that you're probably losing people before they apply. Looking at your website, it is very job seeker focused (which is a good thing), but on the home page you are not showing pay rates next to your recently posted jobs. Also, when I went to apply, the process was a little confusing because when I clicked Apply Now, a pop-up box appeared asking me to login. A candidate who has never worked with you before would not have a login, so they might simply give up rather than trying to figure out how to get a login.

In terms of optimizing the last mile, here are things to consider:

• Job posts – your posts a short and easy to read, which is good. Ideally, they should start with an opening sentence or two (or bullet list) to sell the value of this job to the job seeker. Assuming that most people are already working, you need to give them a strong reason to choose you over other job options, so what is your compelling value proposition.

• Apply options – ideally, you'd offer one-click apply options like Apply with Indeed to allow candidates who already have all their information in Indeed to apply with you without having to re-type anything.

• Chatbot – many job seekers on your site either have questions or are not quite ready to apply. A chatbot allows you to engage with these people 24/7 to allow them to submit questions. There are low-cost bots (we offer one) that are good for collecting data, and more robust ones like StaffingEngine and Sense that use AI to answer questions, allow candidates to apply via chat, and automate interview scheduling.

• Talent re-engagement – over the years, we've learned that a returning candidate is 2x as likely to apply to a job. Are you using retargeting ads and/or re-engagement emails or text to bring people back?

• Give people more reasons to take action – job hunting is a stressful experience, and job seekers need to trust the companies with which they apply. Do you have a process in place to get people to engage with you for things beyond a job application (e.g., to get a job agent, free resume review, or download useful content)?

2) Benchmark your jobs

• Are the jobs you represent at or above market pay?
    • Are they in a desirable location?
    • With desirable companies?
    • Can you offer people the schedule flexibility they want?
    • If the jobs you represent are not as desirable as other options in your market, how can you work with your clients to make them more desirable (better pay, more schedule flexibility, incentive compensation, etc.)?

3) Define your EVP (employee value proposition).

Why should job seekers choose Walker Business and Staffing Services? There are three levels to this question:

• Are the jobs competitive (see point 2 above)
    • Is working with you differentiated from working with other staffing companies…and direct employers?
      • Do you offer better career options?
      • Do you do more to care about the well-being of the people you place?
      • Is the experience of working with you better than working with others?
    • What is your company's purpose – do you have a reason for being in business that would inspire people to want to work with you?

Your EVP should be clearly conveyed on your website and with the content of each of your job posts.

4) Increase your visibility – online and in the real world

Stick with Richard's list of ideas…he is a master at grassroots marketing and rural brand building! On the digital marketing side, have clear and distinct strategies for active and passive job seekers. The content they consume…and their interests are very different. And be sure to get your whole team involved with creating and sharing content to maximize your reach.

5) Build referral partners

Who can help you reach your target job seekers? This list could include trade schools, religious and social organizations, NYS DOL, community colleges, and even your clients (who might be willing to refer the people they don't hire). With referral partners, you want to develop a list of people you can help by providing jobs to people they know, and then regularly communicate with those partners to nurture relationships and keep your company top-of-mind.

And what about your current temporary associates? Can you develop a program to turn them into brand ambassadors? Go beyond the typical referral bonus plan that most staffing companies use to create an ambassador program that provides q more engaging experience and unique benefits to associates who join.

6) Optimize your job advertising

If you are spending $2,000 or more per month on sites like Indeed or ZipRecruiter, you can optimize your investment with programmatic management of the ad spend. On average, our clients are seeing their cost-per-apply decline by 30% within 6 months of starting to use this methodology for managing job ads. If you want to know more about programmatic, you'll find a great overview here: https://www.recruitmentmarketers.com/programmatic101/

7) Invest in automation

Marketing and process automation tools like Sense and Herefish can help turn your recruiters into super recruiters (not that they weren't already!), but automating touchpoints to create a more consistent, more engaging, more caring service delivery process. Automation can help you to:

• Make a strong first impression
    • Reduce interview ghosting
    • Reduce no call / no show
    • Accelerate feedback collection to identify problems faster
    • Reduce fall offs
    • Increase retention and redeployment
    • Automate referral collection

I hope you find this list helpful. Good luck with your recruiting!

David

David Searns
    Co-CEO
    Haley Marketing | 888.696.2900

Avionte post ad

• 10.  RE: Talent Search

Posted 05-23-2022 17:44
    Hi Voni. You have just captured the most pressing issue our industry faces right now and will continue to face for the foreseeable future. 

You have received lots of great tactical things to try, but at TerraFirma, I always start at the beginning -- with strategy. As Simon Sinek so aptly put it, you must always "Start with Why." What always follows why. 

I am a former staffing entrepreneur and executive and grew a company from a start-up in 1987 to nearly $400 million. I have experienced a number of economic downturns over that time, and I think I have some credibility in addressing this issue. I have written extensively about our current labor challenges, and I keep returning to two general themes:

1. Staffing firms must realize that their B2B marketing model that helps them win new clients is utterly ineffective in reaching candidates. They have suddenly become "consumers," given all the choices they now have, which means that a B2C marketing model is the appropriate way to reach and engage them.
    2. Rather than trying to fill their sales funnel with "employers of choice," staffing firms instead need to become the employer of choice

Two very different marketing approaches
    B2B is business marketing directed to other businesses. B2B buyers are information-driven and make their decisions based on the data they obtain. These tend to be rational decisions and rely less on emotional factors. B2C, on the other hand, is business communications to consumers. And as I already mentioned, consumers have choices. They tend to make their decisions quickly and based on how they "feel" about the company, the brand, and the people behind the brand. Staffing firms have been "talking" to candidates the same way they do to prospective clients. "I have a job. You need a job. Let's go." Instead, even though the decision can come quickly, the path to that decision takes time. This requires having a conversation with the consumer rather than asking them to decide immediately. 

Employer of choice
    During my time building a large staffing firm, we always attempted to find the employers in each market that everyone wanted to work for. If we could land them as a client, we would have a recruiting advantage over our competitors. And it worked. But that was then, and this is now. The challenge for our industry has always been about working towards continuous improvement of its reputation. Or, stated another way, about openly embracing the fact that staffing firms are employers. Yes, staffing associates may be working at a client location, but the staffing firm is the employer. Becoming the employer of choice means stepping up and acknowledging that fact. Then, it involves doing the things that will elevate it to where "consumers" willingly choose to align themselves with the staffing firm. 

Solving this recruiting deficit will come partly from improvement and balance in the economy, which will take time. The rest must come from the leaders in our industry. The pandemic has permanently altered the world of staffing and sourcing, recruiting, and placing staffing associates. There is great opportunity hidden in all of this if we see it and become determined to get out in front of this powerful wave. 

Get your team together. Decide your strategy. Adopt a B2C communications approach with the candidate market and determine what you need to do to move from just another staffing firm to a place where this generation and the next generation choose to join. If you can do that, the tactics will become crystal clear. 

Best of luck!

Jay Mattern
    CEO
    TerraFirma Marketing
    South Bend IN
    (574) 213-3855

Avionte post ad