ASA Central Network

communities_1.jpg
  • 1.  Job Boards & Recruiting

Posted 07-28-2022 13:54
    Like all other staffing firms, we are really struggling with recruiting new temporary staff. I was hoping someone in this group would share their thoughts on where their advertising dollars are best spent.

We are working with all of the common social media and advertising platforms such as Facebook, Instagram, Indeed and GetHired, etc.

We have found Indeed to be very expensive for the number of applicants we get. Especially when it comes to our General Labor type of positions, sometimes we get no response. 

With the constant turnover and lack of applicants, we really want to utilize the best Job Boards out there, we just haven't found the right one.

Where are you finding the best bang for your buck?

Thanks for all your advice and feedback.

------------------------------
    Lisa Zand
    President
    APS Employment Services Inc.
    Saginaw MI
    (989) 921-0358
    Avionte post ad

• 2.  RE: Job Boards & Recruiting

Posted 07-29-2022 10:43
    Lisa -- Great question you pose here. Everyone in the industry faces the same challenge. Spending more on job boards is not the answer. Nor are there any "new and improved" job boards that will magically solve the problem. We (the staffing industry) must realize that sourcing and recruiting candidates is no longer a one-shot approach. We used to post the job and they would come. Candidates have become consumers when it comes to job searches. They have options - lots of them.

Rather than recruit today for tomorrow's fills, we need to take a more long-term approach. Once sourced into our database, candidates must be engaged over a period of time with calls, emails, texts, and other forms of communication that help them establish a powerful connection with the staffing firm.

The other important factor that has become important for staffing firms is the challenge of becoming a true employer of choice. In the past, we have always sought out the ideal client that can be considered an employer of choice - somewhere everyone wants to work. It's now time that staffing firms embrace that they are employers and, given that fact, take steps to be a more desirable firm to work for. I have written about becoming the employer of choice. You may find that article helpful.

Best of luck!

Jay Mattern
    CEO
    TerraFirma Marketing
    South Bend IN
    (574) 213-3855

Avionte post ad

• 3.  RE: Job Boards & Recruiting

Posted 07-29-2022 14:36

Hi Lisa!

I wish I had a better answer but there isn't a secret treasure chest of candidates out there on a hidden job board. My best advice would be to continue measuring your ROI on each job board. Where is the most placements coming from? How many candidates do you need on each one?

Tiers of Job Boards:
    Indeed is #1 and ZipRecruiter is #2. There is no secret about that. Quick Apply on each job board will bring the most candidates and lowest cost per application. We have seen the best bang for our buck on these two job boards. ZipRecruiter probably has a lower cost per application but Indeed has brought a better quality. 

After that, a lot of job boards are fighting to be #3 and supplemental sources of traffic - Talent.com, Talroo/Jobs2Careers, Upward/Jobcase, etc.

Programmatic Job Boards
    Think of Indeed/ZipRecruiter as a stock and a programmatic job board as a mutual fund. When you purchase from a programmatic job board, it allows you to purchase from a number of job boards at once. The algorithm of the job board looks at your job title, job location, and job description to determine where to find your candidate. An accounting candidate in Chicago needs a different strategy than a warehouse worker in Seattle.

We have seen programmatic job boards work well with higher-level positions. Why? The cost per application delivered by Indeed Quick Apply or Zip Quick Apply has been lower for staffing companies than using a programmatic job board. That's NOT to say to ignore it, but just an FYI.

I would recommend making sure you continue to optimize your job posts (https://www.recruitmentmarketers.com/2022/02/14/ultimate-guide-job-descriptions-2022/) and really focus on these areas: Job Title, Salary, WIIFM at the top of the posting (what's in it for me), Application Process. Optimize those four areas to give yourself the best shot on each of the job boards. 

Continue to look at the other pillars of recruitment marketing (career sites, social recruiting, employer branding) and have a full recruitment marketing strategy to reach your candidates. Job advertising is also one of the pillars but it's not the only pillar.

It's a challenge, but setting yourself up for success on the job boards and removing as much friction as possible for candidates (job search, application, interview, onboarding) will help a lot!
    ​​​​

Matt Lozar
    Director of Recruitment Marketing
    Haley Marketing Group Inc.
    Williamsville NY

Avionte post ad

• 4.  RE: Job Boards & Recruiting

Posted 08-01-2022 14:06

Hi Lisa,

I'm not sure how technical you are, but if you are getting a lot of traffic to your website already, you should look at ways to convert more of that traffic into candidates.   You need to think beyond just "Here are our jobs, please search and apply."   Also, you can look at Re-Marketing to your existing contact base.  If you have a list of people you can upload to sites like Facebook, etc... you can target ads to your lists specifically where candidates spend their time.  Facebook, Instagram, etc...     Also, on your website, you might consider letting candidates quickly apply to specific jobs instead of forcing them to go through a big application process before you even speak with them.   Once you've engaged, THEN you can ask them to do a full application.  

Hope this helps! 

Bryan

Bryan Wilson
    VP Strategy
    StaffUpApp LLC
    Portland OR

Avionte post ad