ASA Central Network

communities_1.jpg
  • 1.  I9 Form Page 2 - Employer/Authorized Representative

Posted 08-23-2022 16:15
    Can you share with me how you currently handle the completion of page two of the I9 form when your hire is located far from your office?  We have many hires that are being placed out of state and we have no way of meeting them to view their documents live per the requirements of the USCIS.  I know Equifax offers this service for $95 per appointment.  Are there any other options?

Thank you.

------------------------------
    Melissa Caouette
    Director of Operations
    Corps Team

Avionte post ad

• 2.  RE: I9 Form Page 2 - Employer/Authorized Representative

Posted 08-24-2022 08:04
    I had an applicant state they're previous company had the employee complete the preparer section of the I-9 and just send copies of the ID to them. This was just mentioned to me yesterday so I haven't had time to research but a quick search didn't come up with any verification that this would be legal long-term after special rules expire.

Richard Spaw
    CFO
    TempStar Staffing
    York PA
    (717) 848-1100

Avionte post ad

• 3.  RE: I9 Form Page 2 - Employer/Authorized Representative

Posted 08-24-2022 08:16

We have them go to a local Notary.  I have heard in some cases they are allowed to have anyone view the items and sign the reviewer section.  Our HR confirmed with our legal rep. that this process is OK.  Any person can view the docs and sign that they did. We continue to use the Notary verifications.  

Angela Totora, MBA,RN, CHP, LBBP

Director of Nursing

504-883-8711 Direct

504-456-0073 Corporate

https://ampstaffing.staffingreferrals.com/join/atotora1

Avionte post ad

• 4.  RE: I9 Form Page 2 - Employer/Authorized Representative

Posted 08-24-2022 10:19
    Angela is correct. You can use a remote completer. The notary process is lower risk but it obviously increases the credentialing burden on remotely-hired temporary staff as it is yet another location to send someone for pre-employment.

You have to weigh the risk against operational disruption. If you have a good electronic I9 system with someone monitoring documents uploaded this risk can be mitigated substantially.

Sean Barber
    CEO
    Pluto Healthcare
    Columbus OH
    (513) 600-7331

Avionte post ad

• 5.  RE: I9 Form Page 2 - Employer/Authorized Representative

2020 Staffing World Attendee
    Posted 08-29-2022 11:45
    We've done one of two things in this situation, if the individual is working from home, we've coordinated with another local staffing firm in that market. We are open to doing the same. If they are assigned to a client office that is far from ours, we've asked the client HR team to be our agent on this. We never accept a copy as I don't believe this meets the current standard. I've provided feedback that this process needs to be updated to allow some type of remote verification to meet today's world.

Julie Brown CSP
    President and CEO
    Godshall and Godshall Personnel Consultants Inc.
    Greenville SC
    (864) 242-3491

Avionte post ad

• 6.  RE: I9 Form Page 2 - Employer/Authorized Representative

Posted 08-29-2022 12:49
    Here is an excellent article that talks about how the Fed is moving to permanently allow remote I-9 verification as well as a bit of the history of how we got where we are.   Just sharing since its so relevant to this conversation.  

ICE seeks permanent remote I-9 document review.
    HR Dive remove preview
    ICE seeks permanent remote I-9 document review
    Listen to the article 3 min If finalized, the rule would create a framework under which the U.S. Department of Homeland Security could "pilot various options, respond to emergencies similar to the COVID-19 pandemic, or implement permanent flexibilities upon a specific determination as to level of security, including, but not limited to, fraud risk."
    View this on HR Dive >

Bryan Wilson
    VP Strategy
    StaffUpApp LLC
    Portland OR

Avionte post ad

• 7.  RE: I9 Form Page 2 - Employer/Authorized Representative

Posted 08-24-2022 12:23
    You can digitize this process and use a third party that the employee designates to verify the documents.   You'll want a digital paper trail that allows for the person reviewing the docs a way to read/acknowledge what their responsibility is in truthfully verifying the documents and essentially signing off that the DL, Passport, etc... is legit as far as they know it.   Similar to what at notary would provide but its just another person that the employee essentially designates.   A good onboarding solution will help facilitate and automate this and make sure nothing is falling through the cracks.

Bryan Wilson
    VP Strategy
    StaffUpApp LLC
    Portland OR

Avionte post ad