Staffing firms live and die by the results of their business development efforts. My work comp clients often ask me what are the most important qualities to look for in a staffing sales professional since they know I grew a national staffing co in the 90s before starting Work Comp Staffing Solutions. Here's my list:
1. Inquisitive - They ask great questions and allow the prospect to fully answer them. They also are highly skilled at answering questions with a question.
2. Exceptional listeners - They have mastered the art of not just hearing what is being said, but truly comprehending it and understanding what is really being said (and not said).
3. Bold - Great staffing sales professionals have an inert boldness about them that is powerful, yet fully under their control.
4. Emotional intelligence - This is a critical skill that the best in sales possess. They can self-assess and self-correct on the fly. They truly know who they are and how to handle themselves in any situation.
5. Humor - They have a great sense of humor and know how and when to use it. They also know what humor is appropriate in any given situation. They can have fun being being self effacing.
6. Intuitive - These professionals have an inner 'sixth sense' that guides them to their predetermined outcome in every situation.
7. Competitive - They have a never-ending drive and desire to compete and win. They leave nothing on the field.
Notice I didn't mention book learned sales techniques (or knowledge of CRMs or ATS'a) That's not to say that these tools and sales qualities aren't important, but if they have these seven qualities, the technical aspects will surely follow.
Thank you again for this discussion about Sales tools. Always much to talk about!
American Staffing Association Member since 2005
ASA Central 2019-2022 Most Valuable Contributor
ASA PAC Contributor
ASA Safety Committee Member
America's Leading Staffing Workers Compensation Broker With 50 Years Experience.
How To Choose the Best Staffing Work Comp Broker:
Work Comp Staffing Solutions Options: