ASA Central Network

communities_1.jpg
  • 1.  Burden Rate

Posted 07-06-2022 20:09
    Good afternoon, 
    We are new to ASA and was just reading the various discussions. We are currently evaluating our "Burden Rate" for our contractors and how we calculate the Gross Margin. I am curious if anybody has recently done this and has any templates or ideas. We haven't addressed the calculation since 2018 and are now in more than 14 states and have changed significantly since the first time we calculated. Thank you!
    I am the CEO, but most likely will sync anybody with insight up with my controller.

------------------------------
    Samuel Brenner
    CRB Workforce
    CEO
    720-883-5417
    Avionte post ad

• 2.  RE: Burden Rate

Posted 07-07-2022 09:04
    Hi Samuel,
    Since 1991 we've been performing valuations of, and selling staffing companies. Our standard approach for calculating gross margin for Temps and Contractors:
    • Revenue (what you bill the Employer Client) minus:
    • Temp/Contractor (T/C) wages,
    • T/C FICA,
    • T/C FUTA,
    • T/C SUTA,
    • T/C ACA/Medicare,
    • T/C Workers Comp and any additional health and Employee benefits your Temps/Contractors receive.
    Typically, we do NOT include drug, background and criminal checks, testing or commissions. Referral fees if applicable, could go into Cost of Sales or as a debit in revenue.
    Hope that helps.
    Thanks
    b

Brian Kennedy
    Associate
    R.A. Cohen Consulting

Avionte post ad

• 3.  RE: Burden Rate

Posted 07-08-2022 08:07

Hello,

Interesting perspectives on burden rate.

My question is, should the back office operations cost also be a part of the burden rate?

Normally I would say no – however..

Our business model is to manage the back office operations for staffing firms.

We do this defining our client's back office process according to our standardized tasks.

The result is that we charge only for tasks we complete and each task can be allocated to each individual billable worker.

Resulting in a clear back office/admin cost per billable worker

Kind regards

Joris

Joris Verbeek

Director

SBPM Partners LLC

1334 Brittmoore Rd, Suite 1000B

Houston TX 77043

T: +1 (346) 204 9366

E: jverbeek@sbpmpartners.com

www.sbpmpartners.com

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager. This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.

WARNING: Computer viruses can be transmitted via email. The recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. The company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a result of e-mail transmission.

By responding to this email, you agree that we may process your personal data in accordance to our Privacy Statement.

Avionte post ad

• 4.  RE: Burden Rate

Posted 07-07-2022 09:28
    Burden Rates can vary by States depending on SUTA/WC/Sick Leave/Local City and State Tax.

Most staffing Companies can see the Burden Rate as low as 12% and as High as 20% depending on Various Factors.

if you need Calculator please send me Message.

Suketu Trivedi
    Rangam Consultants Inc.
    Somerset NJ
    (908) 704-8843

Avionte post ad

• 5.  RE: Burden Rate

Posted 07-07-2022 09:37

Excellent replies! Thank you. 

we currently have one standard burden rate across all states. Are you averaging it across states or do you use a specific rate per state? 

historically, we add an additional per hour cost in the event the contractor elects benefits - is it common to just average out the cost and apply to the burden rate for all contractors?

Samuel Brenner
    CEO

Avionte post ad

• 6.  RE: Burden Rate

Posted 07-07-2022 09:43
    Hi Samuel... different rates for different States! Also, be specific with additional benefit expenses; don't apply them (even as an average) if they're not actually being paid. Just my $0.02 :)
    Have a great day!
    b

Brian Kennedy
    Associate
    R.A. Cohen Consulting

Avionte post ad

• 7.  RE: Burden Rate

Posted 07-07-2022 09:48
    Thx Brian!

Samuel Brenner
    CEO

Avionte post ad

• 8.  RE: Burden Rate

Posted 07-07-2022 09:47
    Hi Samuel, 

In my experience with staffing, we used to do it by gathering the burden rates from the company providing our insurance. We would use a calculator and factor in the costs to make sure our bill rate was healthy enough to achieve our desired GPM. That burden would be applied to all the contractors within that job. It was not applied to contractors across the board as it varied so much from one skill set to another just as it did for states (It was shocking at times to see the differences from one state to another) 

Hope that helps some!

Brooke Faucher
    VP of Sales
    TimeSaved
    226-788-0403

Avionte post ad

• 9.  RE: Burden Rate

Posted 07-07-2022 10:13
    Hi Samuel, I agree with Brooke. The most impactful (and most controllable) part of the equatiion is Work Comp. As a staffing-focused agent, most of my clients like to have me calculate the burden rate for any placements involving a new state or class code before they finalize an hourly rate. I'd be happy to connect with a phone call if you have any questions about what I take into account when calculating this.

Jordan Goff
    jgoff@com-ins.com

Avionte post ad